Thursday, February 3, 2011

thesis proposal

Sarah Hinton
Photography Workshop: Thesis Proposal

            I would like to continue my thesis of Home & Nature from Photography II. In this class I will build upon my previous pieces and represent family values through imagery of the home and nature that will relate to universals that I hope everyone can relate to. I am motivated by my own family and childhood memories to create this project, therefore I am very passionate about it. You will see me in  in this project because it will be all of my personal experiences and memories imprinted on every image. Conceptually my pieces will deliver a memory of the home and tell a store of my personal experiences. I hope all will be able to interpret these images and relate to them in their own ways. My content will include images of my home, where I grew up, the nature that surrounded me and various textures and patterns included in those spaces. Compositionally, my images will be pieced together in a scrapbook kind of way, comprised of many layers pieced together in interesting ways. I hope to present my final pieces in a book made by hand to further reflect my concept. I plan on mainly using the technology of the scanner and my digital SLR to capture my images and composite them together in Photoshop.
            Bea Nettles, recognized as a pioneer in photographic techniques and book arts has inspired me to create these works. Her work tackles issues of family relationships, woven together with mythology and natural history, often in dream-like juxtapositions. Her book, Lazy Goody Land, Luilekkerland, is a collage of photographic etchings featuring proofs from Landscaptes of Innocence & Life Lessons. I would like my final presentation to be similar to this piece of work. A collection of all my images pieced together in a hand done sort of way. Mary Engelbreit is also someone I find very inspiring as a graphic artist, her Life is Just a Chair of Bowlies book was a favorite of mine since a was a child. She also approaches life lessons but in a different way than Nettles.





No comments:

Post a Comment