Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog prompt 19

Analyze your creative process by answering the following questions.

1. How do you ensure that your work is relevant to you?
Make sure you only work on projects that mean something significant to you.
2. How do you ensure that your work is relevant to the contemporary world?
Your piece should be able to communicate in a general way, in a way that everyone can view it and be able to feel connected to it in their own personal way.
3. How do you brainstorm? Do you sketch? Do you use the camera as a brainstorming tool so that you “look” at the world through the frame of the camera and capture bits and pieces of your environment?
I have to write everything down. I have various lists and post its all over my desk. When I have ideas I write them down then revisit them by adding notes and ideas. Once I am ready to shoot or create something I like just going for it and taking lots of pictures or working by trial and error.
4. Do you combine elements of various media? How do you do this? Do you do it physically with printed images or objects? Do you combine elements virtually in the computer?
Typically I will combine elements in the computer but on occasion I love to sit on the floor with various materials and work with physical objects, these thing become pieces I can manipulate in the computer later, or not.
5. How does your process relate to your ideas/concept? How does your process relate to your outcome/final pieces? Why are you using digital technology (if you are)? Why are you using analog technology (if you are)?
By using both analog and digital technology I am left with works that directly relate to my work. Pieces that are about the process they are made by. That’s why you see the hand in my work and the clean cut look of illustrator.
6. How do you judge your work? When do you think it “works”? When do you think it is “not working yet”? What criteria do you use to make these decisions?
I have a very strong visual opinion on everything I see. When I’m working on new projects I already have an idea of what exactly I want It to look like. If I don’t get that image in my head I keep going to I do. I’m all about balance, where things fit and correlate to each other. I have to have a strong composition, strong imagery, and/or strong type to make it look just right to me.
7. How do ensure that your work is new, unique, ground-breaking, and/or you are breaking the mold/thinking outside the box/pushing the limits?
Every project must first have a concept behind it therefore it can last and allow people to appreciate it and formulate their own opinions on it. I don’t know if I’m breaking the mold when I’m creating pieces, but I know when I am that they are my own and expressed in a way that means something to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment